The Colonel – Karla Elder
The Colonel is an internationally acknowledged leader in the custom picture framing industry…
A quick rundown of her accomplishments…
- One of only 78 Certified Picture Framers in Canada and 3800 worldwide
- One of only FOUR Guild Commended Framers in Canada (The Guild Commended Framer program is internationally recognized as the premier qualification for the industry)
- One of only 17 Advanced Guild Commended Picture Framers (GCF adv) in the world
- National Picture Framing Champion
- International People’s Choice winner in Orlando, Florida
- Past two-term President of the National Picture Framer’s Association
- International speaker for the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) and the Professional Picture Framer’s Association (PPFA)
- One of only 23 accredited Picture Framing Competition Judges in the world
- Has held the position of Head Judge at the International PPFA Picture Framing Competition
The Colonel knows her stuff!
She wanted to be a framer right out of high school, but her mother (The Admiral) insisted on a more traditional education, so Karla went in for Interior Design.
This background in design gave Karla the foundation of color theory, spacial awareness, textures and balance that she uses every day to create framing that’s art in itself for Jackson’s clients.
The Colonel began framing professionally when she and her husband, The Pencilneck ® (a.k.a. Owen Garratt) moved to the Edmonton, Alberta area, and as Owen’s career grew, and the fact that they now had a young family, they decided to open a retail location in Spruce Grove to accommodate their growth.
They opened Jackson’s Gallery in 2003 and positioned it as ‘The Leader in Preserving Memories’ ™.
Bucking every trend in the industry, Jackson’s doesn’t sell art *, sculptures, posters, gifts, crafts, knick-knacks, gewgaws, bangles, baubles, or beads. They specialize in taking items you already treasure and protect and preserve them by framing them to the highest standards.
With the tenacity she’s renowned for, Karla climbed to the pinnacle of the picture-framing world in record time and has forged Jackson’s into the pre-eminent picture-framing gallery in Canada…
…and that’s why she’s known as The Colonel!
*other than Owen’s art of course!